Melasma 101: Action plan inlcuded!
If you’ve spotted brown patches on your upper lip or forehead or cheeks, you may be dealing with Melasma. Melasma is also called the “mask of pregnancy," due to its sudden appearance in many areas of the face. It can be very challenging to keep at bay.
Hormones from birth control use, life changes, and pregnancy play a huge role in triggering melasma. The best thing to do is prevent it altogether — by using a vitamin C serum and a daily SPF. Block out harmful rays any way possible by wearing hats, reapplying sunscreen every 2 hours, avoiding excess phytoestrogens in your diet such as soy products, and avoiding excessive heat (hot showers, hot yoga, facial steamers, etc).
Tools to prevent melasma:
- Daily sunscreen and reapplying SPF
- Daily antioxidants (definitely look into Alto Defense and Vitality Super Serum)
- Sun protection + avoiding heat
- Treatments such as peels or facials, however lasers should be avoided
Safe products for treating melasma during pregnancy:
- EVERY DAMN DAY CLEANSER: A cleanser with pregnancy safe papaya enzymes to brighten and exfoliate (best for normal to oily skin)
- GLOWGETTER SPF or SKINBETTER COMPACT We suggest a tinted SPF for melasma because it includes iron and zinc oxides that provide an added layer of protection.
- BRIGHTENING PADS: Vitality’s botanical Brightening Pads include Kojic Acid, Arbutin, Licorice Root and Bearberry along with skin protective antioxidants.
- ALTO DEFENSE antioxidant blend perfect for normal or dry skin types
- VITALITY SUPER SERUM antioxidant serum best for normal to oily skin types, ferulic acid ingredient is especially great for melasma, all while being safe in pregnancy
Please contact us for more information about managing your melasma!